As the EvalPartners Advocacy toolkit indicates, VOPEs have a particular role to play in strengthening National Evaluation Systems. There are specific ways in which VOPEs support an enabling environment for evaluation, which include the following:
- Advocate for the use of evaluation evidence in policy development, implementation, and accountability.
- Work in partnership with governments and parliamentarians towards the establishment of national evaluation policies.
- Advocate for national evaluation policies that are equity – focused and gender -responsive.
- Work with governments to set evaluation standards as benchmarks to help persuade other stakeholders of the importance of upholding the evaluation principles.
- Foster indigenous demand and supply of evaluation – e.g. through networking, maintaining a roster of evaluation consultants, etc.
- Provide advice to evaluation commissioners when planning evaluations – e.g. advice on the development of the Terms of Reference for evaluations, including choices of appropriate design and methodology to answer key questions.
- Promote the capacity of evaluators to perform quality, credible and useful evaluations – e.g. offering evaluation capacity-building events, or advertising those occurring through a third party.
- Conduct independent research, monitoring and evaluation to validate national statistics provided by the authorities.
- Develop tripartite partnerships with the UN system, government and civil society.
- Building networking and a vibrant community for evaluation: represent evaluation at appropriate conferences and related forums; establish an online presence with a website; host virtual as well as live in-person evaluation forums and events.
- Mobilize resources otherwise not available for the purpose of evaluation from within the national budgets.
- Create evaluation awareness among journalists by engaging media in the process of advocacy for evaluation.
For more guidance, tools and practical examples, access the full advocacy toolkit here:
*EvalPartners toolkit for Advocating for Evaluation. Accessed online on 22 February 2014 from: http://www.mymande.org/evalpartners/advocacytoolkit
Autres exemples d’évaluation de plaidoyer:
Invitation to give Feedback
Have you used any of the resources recommended in this post? Let others know what you think about it by leaving a comment below:
Acknowledgements, Licensing, Attributions
Full details about the acknowledgements, licensing and attributions of this content here.
Note that depending on the size, development phase and purpose of your VOPE, the material presented in this post may need to be contextualised for your specific purposes. Also take note of the full toolkit disclaimer here.